"Moved by the Gospel’s challenge, inspired by the witness of the prophets and by the practical knowledge of and the partnership with people and communities experiencing poverty, Caritas is an authentic expression of the Catholic Church’s diakonia, that is, service. For Caritas, our works of justice, peace and development are testimony of Christ’s love for humankind." Source: One Human Family, Zero Poverty - Caritas Europa Strategic Framework 2011-2020
Caritas Europa is the network of Caritas organisations on the European continent. The united strength of its 49 members, present in 46 European countries, makes of Caritas Europa one of the major social actors in Europe. The network brings forward the needs of the people experiencing poverty and the voice of its member organisations to the European Institutions, European Union Member States, public authorities, and private stakeholders.
Caritas Europa is also one of the seven regions of Caritas Internationalis, the biggest network of Catholic charities in the world devoted to reducing poverty and campaigning for social justice.
Caritas Europa is governed by the Regional Conference composed of representatives from each member organisation and the Executive Board. The work of the network is supported by the Secretariat in Brussels.
In order to accomplish its mission, Caritas Europa is permanently and actively in dialogue and eventual cooperation with European Institutions and many relevant organisations and stakeholders in the European environment. Caritas Europa is also ensuring a permanent monitoring of the Council of Europe.
To ensure a complete transparency of its activities towards the Institutions of the European Union, Caritas Europa is registered in the Inter-institutional Transparency Register of the European Union.
Caritas Europa is very active among the Brussels based Civil Society. The network holds a privileged partnership with the:
- CCEE - Council of European Bishop's conferences
- COMECE - Commission of the Bishops' Conference of the European Community
- CIDSE - International Alliance of Catholic Development Agencies
Caritas Europa is a member of :
- CONCORD - European NGO Confederation for Relief and Development
- ECAS - European Citizen Action Service
- ECRE - European on Refugees and Exiles
- ERSO - European Reintegration Support Organisations
- European NGO Platform for Migration and Asylum
- NGO Voice - Voluntary Organisations in Cooperation in Emergencies
- SDG Watch Europe
- Social Platform - Platform of European Social NGOs
- Social Services Europe
Caritas Europa is part of the working structures of :
- COMECE's Working Group on Migration and Asylum
- COMECE's Commission on Social Affairs
- Official Stakeholder for the European Platform Against Poverty