The 24 July 2018 a fire started at 12.03 am in Kinetta (Greece), principally in a forest area but soon it expanded to residential areas that have been evacuated. Later, a new fire started in the area of Rafina and Penteli mountain. Due to the extreme air in the area, within 2 hours, the flames reached the sea burning down houses, cars and properties. The Mayor of Rafina estimates that more than 1.000 houses have been destroyed.
In total, 47 fires developed in 24 hours in the whole country.
This far, 60 people were verified dead (officially), but many more are missing. 156 were injured and transferred to hospitals.
The coast guard, fishers and volunteers have been able to rescue more than 700 people that have been stranded on the beach shores.
Caritas Hellas is in contact with the state authorities, the army, the fire department and trained volunteers who are on the sites trying to extinguish the fire and perform needs assessments.
We welcome civilians who are motivated and collecting goods (clothes, medicines, food etc.) and supermarkets and companies which are providing water and food to the people.
The needs are going to be significant in infrastructure, facilities, cleaning. Caritas will respond to the Municipalities requests as soon as possible within the next days.
UPDATE 27 JULY
- Caritas Hellas has been on site these two days. Today (27 July) the first coordination meeting in Pikermi with main stakeholders that are active or want to be will take place Caritas Hellas will be present.
- There is BIG and impressive number of volunteers supporting the Municipalities on a daily basis
- The biggest need (and gap) at this moment is Social and Psychological support to the population: Most of them are mourning for the loss of family members, friends and neighbors.
In collaboration with Pammakaristos Foundation for Children, Caritas Hellas & Athens will work together using the Pammakaristos facilities that are close to the affected area in order to provide:
- Social support on a daily basis inside the center and in the neighborhoods of Rafina, Pikermi, Mati. A group of 4 Social Workers is already formed and will be based from tomorrow in Pammakaristos Foundation, on the one hand continue the needs’ assessment and on the other hand with counselling support sessions.
- Psychological support for trauma for adults and children individually or in groups
- Technical support in basic practical needs like: insurances, edition of new official papers, applications for compensation and all bureaucratic procedures that need to take place.
- Child-friendly space using the premises of the foundation, organizing games, activities and fun
- Community meetings
- Provision of meals & snacks. If there is a need, it is possible to deliver hot meals for the ones that are not able to visit the center
- Accommodation for volunteers who will be engaged for servicing the needs of the affected community when the works of rehabilitation, cleaning etc will start.
- Caritas Hellas and the Armenian Caritas can provide shelter for homeless people in Neos Kosmos Social House and apartment in Oropos area if needed.
The situation remains unstable, Caritas Hellas will be on site and ready to react when new needs arise.
UPDATE 31 JULY
Hundreds of volunteers expressed their solidarity, contribution and love to the fire victims in the Municipalities of Rafina and Marathon, after seeing the images of destruction and pain.
At the same time, workers, employees and volunteers of Caritas spoke to the people who were affected, helped to record the needs, made the contacts with the local authorities and tried to understand the priorities of the coming days and months.
"See – Judge – Act”
In the next few days, Caritas Hellas, in cooperation with the "Pammakaristos" Children's Foundation, will be operating a Relief Center for the victims, in the Foundation building (1, Marathonos Avenue) and will provide, daily for the following months:
• Psycho-social support
• Creative child employment
• Prepare and distribute meals in cooperation with local authority coordinators
• Volunteers for any needs that arise in the two Municipalities
For more information: 0030 210 5247879.
For friends who want to help our project:
IBAN: GR43 0140 2600 2600 0210 1095 826
MENTION: WILDFIRE ATTICA
ACCOUNT HOLDER: CARITAS HELLAS
For more information, please contact
Tel: +32 (0)2 235 03 95
Mob: +32 (0)478 58 54 08